Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

What To Eat? Where You Come From?

'Tis the season to be jolly (and we can certainly try despite the news) and for most of us to be jolly means to eat, eat and eat some more. But does where we come from or where we've ended up determine what's on the table? An interesting article on food and class in the Guardian by Louise Carpenter


At the supermarket checkout recently, I recognized a mother from the school run. Instinctively I looked in my trolley. On the top sat a bag of revolting frozen chicken bits, bought for the dog, and a giant bag of steak cut chips, bought for the husband (to eat with a rump steak). All the lovely fruit and vegetables were buried below, out of sight. Fearful that I'd be cast as the kind of mother who serves my four children cheap chicken and chips, I began scrabbling around trying to hide them from view. It was pathetic. I knew the truth. Why should I care what she thought? But I did. If truth be told, I am ashamed to say I sometimes pass judgment on other's people's shopping trolleys myself. read rest here




No comments: