Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Why Barfi Will Not Win the Oscars, BUT for an Indian film it's really good

Jeetendra with Sridevi
I completely agree with Lakshmi Chowdary over why Barfi's Oscar chances are rather slim. It is not exactly your hard hitting, original, social film. But it's not just that- Barfi is a cute film, that is it's always easier for an audience to digest disability framed within humor films, but Barfi could have been much tighter and better .But it is interesting to me to see how so many of us qualify statements with 'well for an Indian film it's really good', implying that were it pitted against 'other' films it would not be so good. I enjoyed Barfi but perhaps part of my enjoyment stems from the history I have with Indian films. A child of the 70s, 80s, 90s, Indian cinema grew me up. While some kids  clutch  teddy-bears, I look back fondly on Jumping Jack and Shrill Sridevi, Govinda and Kader Khan making banana jokes, Kumar Gaurev in 'Love Story' and Neelam's hair,  and Amrita Singh out-brawning a rather scrawny Anil Kapoor in Chameli kee Shaadi.  (okay let me quit my Indian movie memory lane because it's never ending). So to see Rishi and Neetu's (my forever favorite couple in my forever favorite song 'Tera Chehra Say' from Khabi Khabi)  son, Ranbir up on screen doing a great job, is like visiting a fantasy family. I know-- weird, but 'like, what to do?'
Was Barfi from some other country and was I watching it with subtitles, I wonder if it would really be memorable?

from Three Reasons why Barfi is an Oscar dud! by Lakshmi Chowdary

Barfi? Barfi! is going to be the Indian entry for the Foreign Language Film Oscar this year? A movie picked out of a shortlist that included Paan Singh Tomar, Dirty Picture, Kahaani, Deool, Eega, Vazhakku Enn 18/9 and Akasathinte Niram?
What were they thinking? I’m not exactly sure, but let’s first acknowledge the one upside: Hey, it’s not Jeans. Irrespective of Barfi!’s weaknesses, it’s a cinematic masterpiece compared to past Indian entries, which include, most notoriously, Jeans (1998): The brain-dead Aishwarya Rai-starrer whose highlight was a song highlighting the seven wonders of the world. And it’s certainly no Eklavya, the Vidhu Vinod Chopra box office bomb that was nearly withdrawn because of evidence of bias.
In comparison, Barfi! is blessed with great production values, strong performances, and a heartwarming story. None of this, however, will improve its Oscar prospects, and for entirely sound reasons. read rest here




No comments: