Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Decatur Book Festival and Madonna and Me

The Decatur Book Festival is one of the primary reasons I began falling in love with the greater Atlanta area and believing that I could happily make my home. here. The Decatur Book Festival, the largest independent festival in the US, takes place every year over labor day weekend in Decatur Georgia, a lovely, walkable historic town. I've been attending DBF since its inception.  I remember when all the events were at the Marriott and the excitement each year as the venues expanded and more and more amazing writers came to speak. At DBF I've had the pleasure of hearing writers such as Edward P. Jones, Karin Slaughter, Amy Waldman, Tayari Jones, Jennifer Haigh, Chimamanda Ngochi Adichi and exciting local novelists such as Jeffrey Small and Thomas Mullen. I've also had the pleasure of making a star struck fool of myself in front of Robert Olen Butler   perpetually swept away that I am by his astounding short story Fairy Tale. This year the key note speaker is poet laureate Natasha Trethaway.
I can go on and on about DBF. There are a million different food stalls and wonderful author events for children and stalls of various colleges and organizations such as my own beloved The Atlanta Writers Club where you can get info and freebies. And Dogs are welcome!And best of all everything is free, free, free. You can't beat that. I am so thrilled that this year I will, as well as being an attendee, also be at the Festival as an author. Yours Truly will be speaking at the Local Prose Stage at 3:15 Saturday 1st Sept about 'Madonna and Me'.  And on Sunday 2nd Sept I will be introducing novelist Michel Stone's amazing debut novel 'The Iguana Tree'. Hope you see you there!


No comments: