Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Friday, August 31, 2012

Caroline Leavitt and I Hate Madonna and Madonna and Me

Leading up to my 'Madonna and Me' talk at the Decatur Book Festival, I will be interviewing my fellow contributors.Today it's novelist Caroline Leavitt who says: the truth is I loathe Madonna! Really! I just happened to have a good Madonna story for the book. Caroline's essay 'My Movie and Madonna' is the about her book getting made into a Madonna movie.  My favorite bit from Caroline's essay: 'When Madonna was struggling she had been rejected by some record company executive. But instead of caving or feeling humiliated, she walked back into the office, ignoring the receptionist who tried to stop her, and she said to the executive, 'someday, you're going to with you had said yes to me''

And here's Caroline herself.

Favorite Madonna song and why?
I really hate all Madonna's music and consider it prefab and soulless. I'd rather listen to Elvis Costello.

Favorite video and look?   
Don't like any of her videos or any of her looks.
 
Madonna with Nickie Minaj and MIA: Ultra Diva or Desperate?
Desperate.

Can you tell us a little about your writing and revision process for 'My Pocket Madonna'?
It was an easy essay to write because all of it took place in three days and during the whole time I didn't know whether I was blessed or cursed that Madonna was showing interest in making a film of my book. Of course I knew if she did, there would be LOTS of publicity, but on the other hand, I wasn't sure I was going to like what she would do with my book since I had not liked her other films, and I didn't really like her music. But it was an opportunity and I couldn't say no. I tend to rewrite a LOT, so this one also was rewritten about six times.

What are you working on now?
I have a new novel, Is It Tomorrow, coming out from Algonquin Books in May 2013, and I'm currently writing another novel, tentatively called She's Not There.

Caroline's Bio:
Caroline Leavitt is the New York Times bestselling author of Pictures of You, which was also on the Best Books of 2011 Lists from the San Francisco Chronicle, The Providence Journal, Bookmarks Magazine and Kirkus Reviews. It was also a San Francisco Chronicle Lit Pick and a Costco's Pennie's Pick. Her tenth novel, Is It Tomorrow will be published in May 2013 from Algonquin Books. She lives near New York City with her husband and son.

Thanks Caroline!  That was certainly different!

Buy Madonna and Me

Tomorrow Q & A with Yours Truly!

Read Q & A with Rebecca Traister
Read Q & A with Erin Bradley
Read Q & A with Jen Hazen
Read Q & A with Sarah Sweeney
Read Q & A with Joshunda Victoria Sanders
Read Q & A with editor of the anthology Laura Barcella
Read Q & A with Wendy Tokunaga  


Sept 1, 2012. Decatur Book Festival. Local Prose Stage. 3: 15.
Soniah Kamal will be talking about growing up Muslim with Madonna. She will also read from her essay 'Through the Wilderness'. Please join her.


No comments: