Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tawni O' Dell on Gender Bias and Writers

Tawni O' Dell author of the novel 'Back Roads' has a poignant piece on gender bias and writers . As well as whether she'd rather be a literary author with low sales of commercial author who makes a lot more money. These days it seems more and more that the line between commercial and literary is shrinking, at least here in the States. Most literary authors ignore fast pacing for long philosophical tracts at their own peril.


"I'm a novelist and I'm a woman and I'm considered to be a serious author whether I like it or not. I write literary, not commercial fiction, or so I've been told by my publishers who are proud I write literary fiction but secretly wish I wrote commercial. I've been well-reviewed throughout my career, even by The New York Times. (Granted, it was a decade ago, but my agent says it still counts.) I've been compared to such writing luminaries as John Steinbeck, Clifford Odets, J.D. Salinger, and Emile Zola. To my knowledge I've never been compared to a female writer. Probably because none of the reviewers could come up with one he took seriously.
Along with these credentials, I also briefly belonged to the world of bestsellerdom that Jodi Picoult and Jennifer Weiner inhabit after I was visited by Oprah's magic touch, the same one Jonathan Franzen so famously rejected because he didn't want to be lumped in with all those "nonserious" Oprah authors." read rest here.




No comments: