Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Saving Face at the Oscars. Pakistan's first Oscar win. A documentary on acid burning.


The first time I heard about acid burning it was because I was being threatened with it. I was being threatened by having acid thrown on my face by an upset young man whose advances I was not interested in. Displeased men throw acid on women's faces for lesser reasons in Pakistan, and other South Asian countries.
In Saving Face, Pakistan's first Oscar nominated and winning documentary film directed by Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy and Daniel Junge, we meet two women who suffer such a fate and the male doctor who tries to help them.

This is Pakistan's wins its first Oscar!!!! Yes, yes, yes and yes! I wish things like acid burning did not exist, but they do, and here's to hoping this film brings all the awareness needed to get rid of this horrendous practice.


No comments: