Soniah Kamal

My photo
'Islam is not Pakistan's religion; Marriage is'

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Madonna and Me and Saudi Arabia

Last year I was browsing the internet when I came upon a call for submissions for essays on Madonna at Literary Mama for an anthology called 'Madonna and Me: Women Writers on the Queen of Pop'. My stomach plummeted-- yes, I have a Madonna story, do I have a Madonna story, I've had my Madonna story ever since my early teens and always meant to tell it one day and here was an opportunity--and plummeted even more when I saw that the deadline was a day or so away.
I literally put a hold on everything I was doing until the essay was done and I pressed send and it was gone to its fate. How I hoped it would fare well. Madonna meant a lot to me, and even now a single song of hers can transport me back to the confused little girl I used to be in Saudi Arabia wondering if the world was mad or they were right and I was mad. How I hoped and hoped that my tale would make it; how ridiculously thrilled I upon receiving editor Laura Barcella's acceptance e-mail.
I'm in such august company!!  And Madonna and Me comes out March 13, 2012. You can order your copy here and here. And you can also win a free copy here.

Honestly I cannot wait to set my eyes on each and every essay.   



1 comment:

xx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.